Storm Highway by Dan Robinson
Weather, photography and the open roadClick for an important message
Home | Blog Index | Blog Archives | Christianity & Faith Essays

                   Tuesday, February 5, 2008 - 4:56AM

Tuesday/Wednesday forecast and chase plans

By DAN ROBINSON
Editor/Photographer
25 Years of Storm Observing
Important Message
Dan's RSS/XML feed
Dan's YouTube Video Channel

Update 5:15AM Tuesday: It is interesting to note that the RUC model is forecasting that the line of storms currently in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio will drop south today and end up in the Charleston area by this afternoon. The NAM/WRF and GFS keep it all well to the north and west of us. Whether the RUC is out to lunch or not remains to be seen, but part of that line of convection heading for Cincinnati is a little farther east and south than I expected it to be by now - and some eastward progression is apparent on radar. If the RUC is right, things are going to be interesting today.


5:15AM radar image

4:56AM Tuesday: The timing on today's event has really slowed down, resulting on Tuesday's threat area moving significantly westward from earlier forecasts. This makes an expedition for me today even more unlikely. However, West Virginia and points east may even have another partial or full day in the warm sector ahead of the front tomorrow, which means that the eastern Appalachians, Piedmont and coastal areas are going to get their own shot at an outbreak on Wednesday! So now, the closer chaseable risk for me is to the east of Charleston rather than the west. I have some clients in Raleigh I need to meet with, so this may be a convenient way for me to combine two objectives into one trip. The caveat is the chances for snow here in Charleston on Friday morning and Saturday, which I will need to be here for either way. If snow looks likely on Thursday morning, I'll have to turn around and head back home even if I travel all the way to Raleigh tomorrow.

Since I was focusing earlier on Tuesday's forecast only, one thing I didn't notice at all on the 00Z NAM/WRF and GFS is that the squall line is shown to not arrive in Charleston until mid-afternoon/evening tomorrow. That could mean that the best target for an expedition might end up being right here at home - how'd that be for a convenient outcome? I haven't had time to look at Wednesday's forecast in much detail, other than the fact that a slower frontal passage will allow the Carolinas and Virginia to be in the warm sector during peak heating before the system arrives. Here is the SPC's Day 2 outlook for Wednesday:


SPC severe storm risk for Wednesday


SPC tornado/wind/hail risk for Wednesday

Post a Comment
Please note that IP addresses are logged. Abuse will be reported to ISPs or corporate network management

The following comments were posted before this site switched to a new comment system on August 27, 2016:

25 Years of Storm Observing
Important Message
Dan's RSS/XML feed
Dan's YouTube Video Channel

This web site is made possible by support from CIS Internet.
CIS Results-Oriented Internet Marketing

GO: Home | Weather Observing | Photography | Extreme Weather Library | Stock Footage | Blog

Featured Weather Library Article:

Lightning Video Ghosting
That strike you got on video was probably not as close as it looks.
More Library Articles

All content © Dan Robinson. All usage requires a paid license - please contact Dan for inquiries.

Web Site Design and Internet Marketing by CIS Internet