Issues, opinions and essays on weather & storm chasing topics
With older blog posts getting buried in the archives, I decided to start this section to keep some important weather and storm chasing issues 'prominent' and link to it in this site's main navigation menu. Storm chasing seems to never be without myths, rumors and misconceptions, and this new section intends to address some of that. I don't claim authoritative status on chasing issues, but after 25 years in the hobby, I would humbly say that I have some valid points for consideration.
- Storm Chasing FAQ
A list of common questions and answers about the storm chasing avocation.
- Storm Chaser Traffic: Factual information
Empirical data in the form of full-day dashcam videos showing actual traffic conditions during Great Plains storm chases.
- "Nobody Cares"
The most important concept a storm chaser should learn when starting out in the hobby.
- Video evidence refutes claims of Kansas storm chaser problems
Unfortunately for those who make overblown claims of chasers increasingly clogging roads and causing chaos, storm chasers have many cameras rolling which tell a differet story.
- The "clogging roads" myth and the cancer of exaggeration in storm chasing
Exaggerating the problems of chasing is the biggest problem the activity has today.
- New chaser tips: How to avoid being annoying to experienced chasers
Some humble advice on how to start out on the right foot as a new storm chaser.
- Is a "Second Home" on the Great Plains worth it?
Will buying a inexpensive house in a small Plains town save you money on hotels during storm chasing season?
- Pre-chase briefing
Thinking of asking a chaser if you can tag along on a chase? Read this first!
- Chasing stats: How hard is it to see a tornado?
Breaking down the numbers to reveal the best states, regions and times of year to see tornadoes.
- The Top 5 ways to be known as an idiot storm chaser
Five guaranteed ways to earn a reputation as an idiot storm chaser both inside and outside of the community.
- The actual risks to the lives and well-being of storm chasers
If you were to poll non-chasers about what they thought the biggest risks to a storm chaser were, you'd almost always hear tornadoes, hail and lightning mentioned.
- Chasing revenue sources
Storm chasing-related business ventures are not wise investments, and here's why. Save your money and keep your day job!
- Lightbars and supplimental hazard lighting: finding the balance
Are any type of supplimental hazard lights completely useless in storm chasing and spotting?
- Severe thunderstorm warnings and awareness - worth it?
Severe thunderstorms have long been overhyped to the tune of significant wastes of resources.
- Vehicle hail shields for storm chasing: my build & why I'm adding them
Plans and thoughts on protecting windows from large hail during chases.
- Short commentary on common chasing issues
Using a computer in the car, weather instruments and yes, even a paragraph on lightbars *gasp*!
- A few thoughts on chasing motivations
Does chasing in the Great Plains make a difference, and are there alternatives?
- Does a 'storm chasing community' exist?
Thoughts on the question if chasers are a united group or complete isolationists.
- Enjoying storms
Should chasers feel guilty for deriving enjoyment from watching tornadoes and severe storms?
- Lightning photo fakes: how to spot one
A how-to guide on detecting fake lightning photographs.
- Storms are not dangerous to chasers
Don't listen to all of the hype! Non-storm hazards are the biggest threat to the lives of storm chasers.
- The chaseability of non-traditional US regions
Storm chasing can be done outside of traditional areas, this collection of storm images shows what it's like.
- Using rental cars for storm chasing
Renting a car for storm chasing is a big financial risk. It amounts to taking someone else's property into a high-damage-risk situation, and the industry is starting to 'wise up' to chase-related damage claims.
- The Myth of the Money Chaser
I always thought that for someone to be into something for profit, there had to actually be profit involved.
- Stock footage pointers
Some basic information on the hows and whys of the stock footage business for chasers.
- Ranking risk factors of storm chasing
A brief survey of storm chasing risks and related injuries.
- Chase tour legalities
Thinking of starting a chase tour operation? Read this first!
- A pictorial case for Midwestern storm chasing
A collection of personal storm chasing photos from the Midwestern region demonstrating the value this region offers.
- Lightning video ghosting artifacts
A common artifact with lightning video clips fools many chasers and photographers into thinking they captured a very close strike.
This web site is made possible by support from CIS Internet.
GO: Home | Storm Chasing | Photography | Extreme Weather Library | Stock Footage | Blog
Featured Weather Library Article: