Storm Highway by Dan Robinson
Weather, photography and the open roadClick for an important message
Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:09AM EDT

June or bust

By DAN ROBINSON
Editor/Photographer
25 Years of Storm Observing
Important Message
Dan's RSS/XML feed
Dan's YouTube Video Channel

We're nearly past the point of no return for arranging a trip for next week, as the setup for Monday-Wednesday still looks too short-lived and meager (aside from Tuesday). With flights that need to be arranged and other items, we'd need to make a final decision today - which isn't going to happen. My solo trips are over for this year, so it's either the main expedition this time or nothing.

The models are all over the place for early June, ranging from a big trough in the eastern US to a big trough remaining too far west, both scenarios being bad for storm observing on the Plains.

There are two factors for me personally that are beginning to erode the chances for an expedition at all. The first is available trip funds. After two trips out west, a third one will use up the last of the travel funds I have left for the spring. As I've said before, I don't want to spend those for anything less than a very potent setup. I'd rather save them for next year if things continue as they have been the past two weeks. Second, and most importantly, I have several big summer projects that I can't start on until storm season ends. We've been in intensive 'chase standby' mode for over a month now, and I'm anxious to move on and get back to 'real life'. We've already had plenty of success this season and I'm more than satisfied.

So, for the first time in the history of the probability table, 'no trip' will get the largest percentages today. The atmosphere really has some work to do in impressing me before that changes. Now it's looking like June or nothing. We also have had to move our standby end date up to the 12th due to several commitments.

Based on the current outlook, this probability table charts the chance of our trip starting on a particular date:

2007 Weather Expedition - Departure Date Probability as of May 19
May 19-252%
May 26-318%
June 1-725%
June 8-1225%
No trip40%

25 Years of Storm Observing
Important Message
Dan's RSS/XML feed
Dan's YouTube Video Channel

This web site is made possible by support from CIS Internet.
CIS Results-Oriented Internet Marketing

GO: Home | Storm Expeditions | Photography | Extreme Weather Library | Stock Footage | Blog

Featured Weather Library Article:

Lightning and trees
Trees are nature's lightning rod - take a closer look here.
More Library Articles

All content © Dan Robinson. All usage requires a paid license - please contact Dan for inquiries.

Web Site Design and Internet Marketing by CIS Internet