Great Plains 2004

Event Day Log Entries:
- 6/15/05: Conclusion
- DAY 22: Tower lightning
- DAY 21: Missouri funnels
- DAY 20: Texas tornadoes
- DAY 19: OK lightning
- DAY 18: Slow day in OK
- DAY 17: Kansas tornadoes!
- DAY 16: Rest day
- DAY 15: Tornado in SD
- DAY 14: Plans change!
- DAY 13: Heading east
- DAY 12: High risk letdown
- DAYS 10,11: Cap wins
- DAY 9: Travel, rest day
- DAY 8: Lubbock supercell
- DAY 7: Tornado in CO
- DAYS 4,5: WV to Wakita
- 5/26/05: Uncertainty's back!
- 5/25/05: Gearing up again
- 5/23/05: Still watching
- 5/21/05: Forecast update
- 5/17/05: Hoping for June
- 5/16/05: Struggling forecast
- DAY 2: IN,IL
- 5/09/05: Installing gear
- 5/06/05: Trip dates set
- 5/02/05: GFS watching
- 4/28/05: Preparations

- View All Entries
- List Chronologically
- Log Index

- Event Vehicle Scrapbook

Storm Highway:
Home Page

                May 6, 2005: Trip dates set, still watching model data

It looks like everyone's trip schedule is finally as 'set in stone' as it's going to be. With storm observing, it is almost impossible to plan anything ahead of time, so this is a pretty decent accomplishment! My brother Matt (, and I will be leaving Charleston either late on the 13th or early on the 14th, with stops in Louisville and St. Louis for some city skyline photography. We may be able to add Kansas City to that list on the 14th or 15th, depending on the severe weather setup in the Plains.

From there, here's the plan: We'll be meeting up with Kurt Hulst from Grand Rapids, Michigan (midweststorm and Nick Grillo from Detroit, Michigan ( Kurt and Nick will be on our team until the 20th. On the 20th, William Coyle from Virginia Beach, Virginia ( and Fabian Guerra from Chicago, Illinois will be riding with us until the end of the month. We'll hopefully be teaming up with several other vehicles along the way (as we did last year), including those of Dave Crowley and Justin Teague from Tulsa, Oklahoma (; and Mark Sefried from Morton, Illinois ( In all, we usually end up in a two to four-vehicle convoy with anywhere from 8 to 15 storm observers total. At any rate, having four storm observers in my car during the entire trip will help everyone cope with the exorbitant gas prices that will likely worsen in late May.

As far as the forecast goes, the severe weather opportunities for our trip are still too uncertain to make a call at this point in time. Currently the Plains region is finally experiencing a pattern shift, with severe weather already occuring Friday and continuing until at least early next week. However, the long-range models are hinting at some downtime for us at the start of our trip next weekend. It's not time to get anxious, though - springtime weather in the Plains is very volatile and subject to change within days. The models, therefore, have a hard time pinning down these patterns. We'll just have to wait - which is the hardest part. We should know more about the prospects for our trip by Wednesday. If things are clear and sunny, our plan is to use the downtime to tour a few midwestern cities (Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Chicago, Omaha, etc) to do some urban skyline photography.

In the meantime, the Jotto desk should get here Monday, at which time I'll make the final installations/modifications to the car. Less than one week away . . . we're definately ready.

Back to Top | View All Entries

Storm Highway contents copyright ©2005 by Appalachian Skies Media
Photos, video, audio, text and graphics may not be reproduced without permission.

Site design and hosting by CIS Internet, West Virginia's Family-Friendly Internet Solution