Storm Highway by Dan Robinson
Weather, photography and the open roadClick for an important message

May 24: Day 3: Kansas, Missouri

6:50PM CDT We are sitting along I-44 east of Joplin, Missouri waiting for storms to fire. Whether or not that will happen remains to be seen, but parameters look good if convection is actually able to begin.

9:37AM CDT: Matt, David, Tom, Nick, Kurt and I are in Salina, Kansas pondering our next move. Thursday looks to be a complete down day, with no realistically chaseable severe storms anywhere in the Plains. Today's setup is very marginal, with a slight chance of storms to our southeast. Friday looks to bring better possibilities to western Kansas and Nebraska, although the forecast is iffy. Saturday's risk could be in Montana and North Dakota.

So, we are trying to decide about observing southeast Kansas today for at least some cumulonimbus and lightning shots. However, doing this would mean a farther drive north for Friday and Saturday.

The longer-range forecast suggests the Plains will not be very active, if at all, after this weekend. If that is the case, we will head home on Monday or Tuesday and plan on a possible second trip later in June.

30 Years of Storm Observing
Important Message
Dan's YouTube Video Channel
Dan's Twitter feed
Dan's RSS/XML feed

This web site is made possible by support from CIS Internet.
CIS Results-Oriented Internet Marketing

GO: Home | Storm Expeditions | Photography | Extreme Weather Library | Stock Footage | Blog

Featured Weather Library Article:

Lightning FAQ
Everything you ever wanted to know about lightning!
More Library Articles

All content © Dan Robinson. All usage requires a paid license - please contact Dan for inquiries.

Web Site Design and Internet Marketing by CIS Internet